Saturday, February 12, 2011

Inspired by ... Barbie for Valentines!

I enjoyed working on the last Inspired..by Barbie post so much that I decided to continue and turn this into a series, and in this special Valentines post, I've looked at two covers and outfits!



{images by Robert Best}




Barbie

I personally prefer the "vintage" Barbie, that would be Barbie's image from the 90's and earlier. She can be a great role model in many ways, looking at her positive and cheerful attitude, her up-beat and friendly nature, and who could forget her many talents (from artist to astronaut, Barbie has had more than 80 careers). And with more than 105 million yards of fabric and billions of pairs of shoes used to create her extensive wardrobe, I think it's only fair that we borrow a few. She may be a doll, but Barbie can represent so much more, and inspiration for fashion can come from anywhere!

I feel like I've missed out on a part of my childhood. Apparently back in the '90's Marvel and Mattel had released several fashion comics starring Barbie and her friends, and while they have a certain "Archie and Friends" feel to them, I can't help but feel inspired by what she wears on the cover!

Valentine Cards: The inspiration


Happy Valentine's Day! (^__^)
{Click image for credit}

On this cover, Barbie is sorting through a very large pile of Valentines, wearing a red heart sweater, red and white striped skirt, red hairband, red heart earrings, and simple white pumps.

Valentine Cards: The style



Valentine Barbie

Cardigan, Headband, Earrings (part of the "garden friends" set) modcloth, Skirt dynamite, Shoes endless
{Click on image for links to each item}


I did my best trying to be as true to the cover, but I guess this proves how unique Barbie's style really is! I was unable to find a red striped skirt, but I did find quite a few black and white striped skirts! Channel your inner cupid with heart earrings and a heart cardigan (this was also the closest I could find). Add always classy white heels and you're ready for a casual Valentine date!



barbie valentines by Kaarin, on Flickr
{Click image for credit}

Why not be totally retro and nostalgic? This Valentines, grab some cheesy (or awesome, depends how you look at it) Valentine cards and mail them to your friends or attach some candy and give it to your sweethearts! I dont know about you, but if I received something like these in the mail, I'd be over the moon.

Polaroid Sweetheart: The Inspiration



Barbie #52
{Click image for credit}

Pretty adorable. Barbie is wearing a fuzzy white sweater paired with a blue skirt and matching belt, and matching earrings and heart necklace!

Polaroid Sweetheart: The style



Barbie - polaroid sweetheart
Cable sweater and Skirt modcloth, Watch, Rose Heart Necklace, and Fujimax mini instant camera urban outfitters, Locket 1928, Faux Fur Vest dorothy perkins, Heart Earrings forever21, White Sweater Gap
{for complete credits click image}


I wasnt able to find the same fuzzy sweater, so I decided to use a faux fur vest instead! Wear a simple white sweater underneath for a similar effect. Or, wear a cream cable knit sweater instead, either way you'll be perfectly warm! I couldn't decide which necklace I liked more, the silver locket looks closer to the image, and it looks similar to the heart earrings, but the Rose Heart necklace from urban outfitters is so cute I had to include them both! The bracelet Barbie is wearing looks like a mesh of different trinkets and charms, you can wear a charm bracelet and be more loyal to the cover, or wear something like the heart inspired watch! Finally, grab your digital camera or a Polaroid camera (if you can find one) and take some cute shots with you and your Ken!

Barbie and Ken again?

It was all over the news several years ago when Barbie and Ken decided to go their separate ways, but now there is a poll online where you can vote for them to be together again! Be sure to vote "yes" at barbieandken.com


Happy Valentines! ♥

No comments: